GOOD FLATWARE IS MADE IN BROAD PRICE RANGES:
BEFORE SHOPPING, determine:
- Do you want and need flatware for everyday?
— and a different set for company?
- Will you entertain formally, informally or both?
Patterns are suitable for every lifestyle.
- What can you afford to spend for everyday flatware and/or company flatware? Price will impact your choice of metal.
- Is washing flatware in a dishwasher important for you?
If yes, make sure your selection is dishwasher safe.
- All silver flatware should be washed by hand and thoroughly dried after use.
- Are you willing to take-on the maintenance of periodically polishing sterling or silver-plate flatware?
- All silver flatware should be properly stored between uses.
- If you prefer flatware with wooden handles, they must not be washed in a dishwasher, nor should they be allowed to soak in a dishpan.
- If the flatware pattern you prefer doesn’t include all of the place-setting or serving pieces you want, try mixing!
- Start a trend! Make things ‘multi-purposed’, e.g. use a pickle fork to serve lemon slices.
AT THE STORE—–TAKE YOUR TIME:
1. SELECT THE METAL YOU WANT.
2. CHOOSE PATTERNS YOU LIKE.
3. PRETEND YOU’RE HAVING SOUP: Does the soup spoon stay level?
PRETEND YOU’RE CUTTING MEAT: Is the knife grip comfortable?
(each is important in selecting the size, balance and comfort for YOU.)
4. JUDGE QUALITY FOR YOURSELF.
WHEN YOU CHOOSE BETTER QUALITY EVERYDAY PRODUCTS,
OUR LANDFILLS WILL BE SPARED.
Pat Breen: EYEWITNESS TO QUALITY
MY NEXT POST: HOW DO YOU KNOW IF FLATWARE IS GOOD?